New Vision 400
Engaging Big Questions in Astronomy & Cosmology
Four Hundred Years after the Invention of the Telescope
Templeton-Xiangshan Science Conference
Registration Deadline: Sept. 10, 2008
The meeting will be held in Beijing, China, October 12-15, 2008. ?We appreciate your interest and warmly welcome your presence.? There is no registration fee and food will be provided during the conference.? Please see the web site for registration.? If you have not registered or have not completed the second phase of registration, please do so at the conference website.
The following information is for your reference.
Please visit the conference website where the final program speakers are posted and the plan of the conference is given. ?Any future updates will also appear there. ?The website includes weather information, maps, tour information (daily for non-participants, and post-conference tours for all).
Oct. 12 Afternoon?? The Great Hall of the People (Three Public Lectures)
Oct. 13??????????? ?Qiulin Hall, School of International Studies, Peking University
Oct. 14-15????????? Yingjie Exchange Center, Peking University.
- Time and Location!
Oct. 11????14:00-23:00 ????????? Lobby of the conference-arranged hotel at which you are staying
Oct. 12??? 09:00-12:00?????????? Lobby of the conference-arranged hotel at which you are staying
Oct. 13??? 09:00-12:00?????????? Qiulin Hall, School of International Studies, Peking University
(for local participants)
* For those who would like to attend the public event at the Great Hall of the People, please register on Oct. 11 or Oct. 12 to get the ADMISSION TICKETS.
* For those who stay at non-conference arranged hotels, please register at the Lake View Hotel.
Time: 19:00-21:00, Oct. 11, 2008
Venue: The Lake View Hotel
Time: 14:00-18:00, Oct. 12, 2008
Venue: The Great Hall of the People
* ADMISSION TICKETS REQUIRED
*For those who do not take the Sunday morning tour (Tour 1 on the website), lunch will be on your own. ?Buses leave for the Great Hall of the People from each of the three conference hotels at 12:15 pm.
* For participants in the Sunday morning tour, including lunch near Tian’anmen Square, shuttle buses will depart from each of the three conference hotels at 08:30am. ?Tour groups will end up at the Public Event for the afternoon program. ?Please note that the buses will not go back to hotels until the end of the Public Event.
All talks are invited talks. ?Submitted posters on topics relevant to the main sessions (see website) will be considered and are welcomed.
- Each participant for poster presentation will be provided with one side of a board, which is 90cm in width and 150cm in height.
Poster Abstract Submission
The abstracts of selected posters will be published and provided to all participants. ?Please do submit electronic copy of your poster by using the online registration system or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sept. 10, 2008.
- Taxis are the best mode of transportation from the airport to the hotels and return. ?They can easily be found by following the signs after passing through customs at International Capital Airport. ?Please show the Chinese note and map (attachment 1 and attachment 2) to the taxi driver if you do not speak the Chinese language.? It costs about RMB120 from the airport to the Lake View Hotel / Wenjin Hotel / Zhongguanyuan Global Village.
- It is suggested that you exchange money at the bank of the airport.? Chinese currency is the only one that can be used in China.
- On Oct. 12, shuttle buses to the Great Hall of the People will leave from the conference hotels (see above).
Oct. 13-15, shuttle buses to the conference venue will be arranged for those who stay at the Lake View Hotel and Wenjin Hotel.
Please pay attention to the time schedule upon on-site registration. ?If you miss the bus, please take a taxi, which takes you about RMB60 from the hotel to the Great Hall of the People and about RMB10 to Peking University.
- For those who stay at the Zhongguanyuan Global Village, you need to walk to the conference venue by yourselves on Oct. 13-15, which takes 10-15 minutes.
- If you stay at a non-conference hotel, please arrange your own transportation .
If you stay at the conference arranged hotels,
- The deadline for hotel reservations through the Secretariat has been extended from August 31 to September 10, 2008.
- Unless you have been otherwise by the conference organizers, accommodation fees are to be paid directly to the hotels.
* If you have to cancel the room reservation due to the unexpected emergency, please inform the secretariat at least one week in advance.? Or, one-night room rate will be charged.
If you stay at non-conference arranged hotels, please also inform the secretariat.
The document for helping the visa application（被授权单位签证通知表）is being sent out by email after receiving your complete registration information.? The original copy is also being sent out by regular mail.? ??If you have not received it, please contact the secretariat.
If you stay at the conference arranged hotels, the hotel confirmation (newly required for VISA applications for China) will be sent will be sent to you in PDF format once your Hotel Reservation Form is received.
Conference Website：www.nv400.org (then choose “English” or “Chinese”)
Mr. SHI Zhongming
Secretariat of NV400
Tel. +86 10 6275 1245, Fax: +86 10 6275 9322
Address: Room 238B, Yingjie Exchange Center, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China